HPA works to inform the public and the leg- islature about psychology in order to ensure that quality health services, both public and private, are available to the diverse people of Hawai‘i.
The Hawai‘i Psychological Association (HPA) is a tax-exempt professional association chartered in 1962. Our mission is to promote the health and wellbeing of Hawai‘i and its people through the science and applications of psychology. HPA is an affiliate of the American Psychological Association. It is one of the most strongly represented state psychological associations in the country.
When it comes to your professional future, HPA membership is one of the most valuable investments you will make. Your investment ensures that HPA can continue to protect, preserve and advance your profession. Help us help you!
- Continuing education and professional development. HPA is accredited by the APA as a provider of Continuing Education program. HPA offers members dozens of free and low-cost educational events each year. Presenters are invited and topics chosen based on members’ interests, and programs are conveniently available both live and online.
- Referral service. Through the 24-hour confidential referral system on the HPA website, members receive referrals made according to location and specialty.
- Listserv. HPA members enjoy a daily electronic conversation on news and topics of importance to the profession. The Listserv allows us to communicate about referrals and to share news about APA, legislation and other important events.
- Networking. HPA supports members with opportunities to gather socially and professionally. Pau Hana gatherings, Peer Discussion Groups and Continuing Education events provide a setting for clinicians to discuss their work and share important information.
- Visibility. HPA members are invited to participate in our media and public relations efforts that promote our profession in general as well as individual members’ interests and businesses. We are always looking for new ways to communicate.
- Convention. Members enjoy preferred pricing for HPA’s annual convention, which provides nationally recognized presenters as well as content specific to education, training, research, advocacy and service in Hawai’i.
- Legislative advocacy. HPA’s Legislative Committee maintains a robust presence at the State Capitol, acting on critical issues in both public and private sectors. We have won several important victories for consumers and psychologists. Protection from a continuing stream of potentially damaging legislation is also a major priority.
- Newsletter. For more than two decades, the HPA quarterly newsletter The Hawai’i Psychologist has been a valuable tool for HPA members to hear about local issues, read informative articles important to Hawai’i psychologists, and communicate with one another.
- Student services. HPA student members enjoy an active Student Division with the benefits of HPA membership, as well as unique opportunities to receive mentoring from HPA members, to chat online on the HPA Student Listserv and to participate in training programs designed to meet their needs in areas such as learning about local internship opportunities, business aspects of practice, etc.
Dues payments are deductible by members as ordinary and necessary business expenses. However, contributions or gifts to the Hawaii Psychological Association are not deductible as charitable contributions for federal income tax purposes.
Pursuant to IRC Sec. 6033(e), HPA hereby gives notice that the Advocacy & Legislative Surcharge portion of the dues are non-deductible for federal income tax purposes.